Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back from Bali

Kuta Beach Sunset


Now, I know this is going to sound cliché, but I feel like Bali changed my life. It would take me hours and hours to write about my Bali experience but I’ll try to sum it up in as few words as possible. First, let me tell you that I was in Bali for a proper relaxing holiday and thus stayed in Kuta/Legian Beach the whole time. I did go see one temple- Tanah Lot, the water temple- by motorbike with a couple French guys I’d met (unfortunately it rained during sunset, which was the reason we’d gone out there, it was still worth it), but other than that I stayed put. My days consisted off waking up late, going to eat lunch, laying on the beach reading, collecting shells, walking through the narrow gangs (alleys) checking out the wares for sale in the stalls, trying not to get hit by cars and motorbikes, saying ‘No thank you’ 5,000 times everyday, talking to the locals, hanging out in front of the TV at the place I stayed, eating dinner (almost always accompanied by a Bintang), showering, hanging out some more, trying to learn a little basic Indonesian, drinking, partying, dancing until the wee hours. It was the life. And now being back in Darwin I feel a little depressed coming down, tumbling down, from the high that was Bali. I feel really lucky to have found the cottages where I stayed, it was like being part of a big family. Everyone was so welcoming- both the staff and fellow guests. I loved not having A/C and looked forward to having my cold shower. I met people from all over the world staying at my same place and we all got on very well and now I miss them! I ate excellent and damn cheap Indonesian food. I met people from around the world all in Bali to have a great time. I saw Ban Chongs and could pick them out by the end. I went to the night clubs and survived! I had the best pork I’ve ever had when we had a pig roast. I fell in love with Cassava chips. I had Arak Attacks many nights (Arak = palm liquor, it will fuck you up)! I met a fellow Longhorn in one of the clubs one night and was reminded of how proud I was to be a Longhorn! I also met a Sooner that same night, wild! I want to go back already. I want to go back every year.

Tanah Lot

No comments: